I am a jack-of-all-trades programmer with over 20 years experience, currently spending most of my time on backend web development. I am passionate about open-source software and writing software that people love using.
- Mobile: Android - Java, Apple iOS - Objective C
- Unix/Linux system development: C/C++, Ruby, Go, Python, Perl, Shell (Bash) scripting, Containers (Docker)
- Learning: Rust, Microservice architectures, Cloud infrastructure (AWS), GraphQL
Elastic Suite - Emerald Expositions, LLC
Sr. Manager Backend Development – 2021 to 2023
- Led multiple, dispersed teams of backend Ruby on Rails developers developing both core application features and custom client enhancements and integrations.
- Worked closely with Product Owner and UX team to refine requirements and architect solutions for new features.
- Migrated local database-backed authentication scheme to AWS Cognito for all 200+ Elastic Suite sites, allowing for federated identity sharing among new applications and with other partners.
Elastic Suite - PlumRiver, LLC
Senior Software Developer – 2016 to 2021
- Led small backend development team of an enterprise Ruby on Rails application with MongoDB, Postgres, ElasticSearch, Redis, S3, and Memcached.
- Worked directly with clients to design and develop custom integrations, such as real-time inventory update APIs.
- Scaled the whitelabel B2B e-commerce application from 17 to more than 200 sites by developing configuration-driven ETL process and automating CI/CD.
Educational Technology Center - Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
Senior Programmer Analyst – 2014 to 2016
- Led development of the university’s Android and iOS applications.
- Developed policy and guidelines mandating mobile-friendly web design for all university websites.
- Implemented caching proxy server in Go for distributed microservices that enabled efficient access of these services by many different applications and thousands of users.
Programmer Analyst II – 2009 to 2014
- Modified and maintained open-source Java-based CMS that hosts 300+ university websites. Built custom templates, developed features, fixed bugs (and submitted upstream), and integrated the application with other university systems.
- Developed several Ruby on Rails applications including a workshop reservation system used by dozens of departments across the university.
- Maintained a web-crawler that scans university websites for dead links using the open-source Python Linkchecker software, and submitted several bug-fixes upstream.
Systems Application Engineering, Inc. - Houston, TX
Systems Analyst – 2002 to 2009
- Created mobile applications for Windows-CE devices for the food distribution industry.
- Implemented RESTful API to legacy Unix server application by writing CGI scripts in ANSI C generating XML responses to queries on the application’s data.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained an application framework in C# for writing extensible mobile applications on Windows CE. Wrote modules for wireless TCP/IP communications, Bluetooth printing, Bar Code scanning, and i18n.
- Implemented client/server system for alcohol/tobacco tax collection at ports of entry along Texas/Mexico border. Wrote a single client application in C# that cross-compiled to both Windows Mobile and desktop platforms.
- Wrote mobile application framework in C++ that enabled clients to create custom apps using XML-based templates, supporting Text-To-Speech, Voice Recognition, and Bar Code Scanning to direct users and record their input.
M.S. Computer Science, 2013
Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
B.S. Computer Engineering, 2001
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA