I am a jack-of-all-trades programmer with over 15 years experience, currently spending most of my time on web and mobile app development. I am passionate about open-source software and writing software that people love using.
- Mobile: Android - Java, Apple iOS - Objective C
- Unix/Linux system applications and scripting: C/C++, Ruby, Go, Python, Perl, Shell (Bash) scripting
- Learning: Microservice architectures, Inclusive design
Educational Technology Center - Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
Senior Programmer Analyst – 2014 to Present
- Led development of the university’s Android and iOS applications.
- Developing policy and guidelines mandating mobile-friendly web design for all university websites.
- Implemented caching proxy server in Go for distributed microservices that enabled efficient access of these services by many different applications and thousands of users.
Programmer Analyst II – 2009 to 2014
- Modified and maintained open-source Java-based CMS that hosts 300+ university websites. Developed custom site templates, created new features, fixed bugs (and submitted them back upstream), and integrated the application with other university systems.
- Developed several Ruby on Rails applications including a workshop reservation system and the University Events Calendar, both used by dozens of departments across the university.
- Maintained a web-crawler that scans university websites for dead links using Lifecycle and the open-source Python Linkchecker software, and submitted several bug-fixes upstream.
Systems Application Engineering, Inc. - Houston, TX
Systems Analyst – 2002 to 2009
- Created mobile applications on DOS and Windows-CE based mobile devices for food distribution and other industries.
- Wrote the server-side applications they communicated with, running on Windows or Unix platforms.
- Implemented RESTful API to legacy server application by writing CGI scripts in ANSI C generating XML responses to queries on the application’s data.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained an application framework in C# for writing extensible mobile applications on Windows CE. Wrote modules for wireless TCP/IP communications, Bluetooth printing, Bar Code scanning, and i18n.
- Implemented client/server system for alcohol/tobacco tax collection at ports of entry along Texas/Mexico border. Wrote a single client application in C# that cross-compiled to both Windows Mobile and desktop Windows platforms.
- Wrote warehouse logistics client/server system that utilized Text-To-Speech, Voice Recognition and Bar Code Scanning to direct users and record their input.
- Created custom HTTP client in C++ and custom XML-based template language to facilitate implementation of voice enabled applications on mobile devices.
M.S. Computer Science, 2013
Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
B.S. Computer Engineering, 2001
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA